Monday, September 18, 2023

Part 4 / Day 8 : Urdos - Somport

I spent a lovely evening at the pilgrim gîte in Urdos. It was a huge reunion with the Slovakians, along with two French women from the monastery in Sarrance, a Canadian woman, a Franco-hispanic woman,, and the woman from La Réunion that I had met the day before. There was a small store attached to the gite which provided food for dinner and breakfast, and the place was extremely well equipped with coffee (and local Jurançon wine!), wifi, and a washer/dryer at our disposal.

After consultation with my guide book, the French Miam Miam Dodo, I decided to take the bus to the Somport Pass. The walking difficulty rating was "red" (the most difficult) all the way, and 5 stars [most difficult] on Gronze.com. I was early, and there was little to do before my albergue opened, so I had a second breakfast and took advantage of the wifi. 

Apparently the Somport Pass, or Summus  Portus, was the most used route to Santiago via the Voie d'Arles until the 12th century when the bandits in the region near Roncevalles were brought under control and it became more popular.

 

 

 

Somport






Albergue Aysa in Somport 



A room with a view !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...