Monday, September 25, 2023

Part 4 / Day 15 : Ruesta -- Undués de Lerda


Hiroko and I lost the Italians yesterday at lunch as they continued on to Undués de Lerda. There were 10 of us at dinner at the albergue in Ruesta, 3 French men of varying ages, walking separately, a Spanish middle-aged couple, two other Spaniards and a Basque woman. Communicating is becoming more difficult for me if people don't speak any English or French, as my  high school Spanish has pretty much disappeared. Hiroko and I decided to keep this day short as we did a lot of climbing today, although not difficult, and the final  rocky descent, the climb up to the bastide town of Undués de Lerda wore us out. All of the others, I believe, are pressing on to Sangüesa, and I suspect the municipal albergue will be full. Today is Monday and the bar here is closed, but fortunately there will be dinner for us.



Leaving Ruesta 





Ermita de Santiago Apostol near Ruesta--early 11th century.




Through the trees, a glimpse of the Yesa Reservoir


The Yesa reservoir. It was built in 1960 and many of the locals have been against it because of flooding and loss of land. As mentioned before, it is the reason for the abandonment of the town of Ruesta.
 







Undués  de Lerda [below]



view from my window





The blue and gray "sign" to the right is actually a device that will give you a history of the town in English, Spanish, French and German.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...