Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Part 4 / Day 16 : Undués de Lerda -- Sangüesa

Well two more older French women, Sylvette and Pascale, showed up at the albergue in Undués de Lerda, along with a couple of Spanish-speaking women sometime later. The latter may be doing something else as one arrived with a suitcase, as I understand this albergue is not limited to pilgrim walkers.

Today will be my last day of walking for this year, and a very short walk, indeed.  The French women left early, and Hiroko and I left shortly thereafter, being on our way by 7:45 am. We walked together until we reached a highway that went to Javier, the birthplace of Francisco Javier, where we parted company for the time being, as her pilgrimage included that important landmark. Francisco Javier (Francis Xavier) was an important Jesuit missionary to Japan. I trudged on to Sangüesa, through much agricultural farmland, reaching the town around 11 am, then went to the tourist office as the albergue was not yet open. Hiroko joined me shortly afterward and we had lunch together.  The albergue seemed noisy and the atmosphere was more city-like--different than the places we had stayed in earlier. My mind-set had changed and I was focusing more on returning "home".


Leaving the albergue at Undués de Lerda

\

 

 

 

 

 

 We go our separate ways, to rejoin later in Sangüesa

 

  

 

  

  

  

  

 

  

  

 

 

 

 

 

Sangüesa 

 

Albergue in Sangüesa 

 




 




 





























.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...