Friday, September 27, 2019

Part 2, day 9 : Anglès to Boissezon


It was along slog out of Anglès to Boissezon. I don't know who measured the distances on the placards, but they seemed to bear no resemblance to any reality I experienced.  I think I was on the road 9 hours--a long time for me.  I got lost a couple of times and had to retrace my steps, but still, it was a long day, and by the time I made it in to Boissezon I was too exhausted to visit the town.  All I knew was that I had to make it to the butcher's before 6 pm because there was no grocery store in town, and the butcher, who was there for 3 hours in his truck, had more than meat to sell.

I had left early that morning, run into Hervé, Bernard, and an American woman, Teri, from Raleigh, N.C. doing a small segment of the route.  I ran into the couple from Brittany at lunchtime, but lost them afterward.  Finally, at dinnertime, Hervé, Bernard, Pierre, Pierrette and I were in the same gîte and shared dinner together.  We had a great time and managed to consume two bottles of wine in the process.  Boissezon is a lovely town that has been neglected over time.  The grocery store has now closed, so that if you don't have a car, you're really in a pickle.  I chatted with an ancient couple before running off to buy food at the butcher's, and the old man was there the next morning to see me off on my walk... So sad...

Whimsy in Anglès




A clever use of an old refrigerator as a book depot




My gîte in Anglès



A jogger that took me by surprise



Just when I settled down for a rest ...

Bernard, Hervé and an American woman, Teri, came by...

Here I show Hervé the photo I just took of them

Horse tracks

It will always take at least double the time allotted !

I was joined here momentarily by Pierre and Pierrette








there was much shale towards the end into Boissezon

Finally Boissezon

And behind this wall was a fantastic gîte




No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...