Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Part 2, day 6 : Fagairolles to Murat-sur-Vèpre

 After having endured a number of days of what I considered challenging walking, I noticed an upcoming stretch of several kilometers indicated as "red" (difficult) in the Miam Miam Dodo guidebook. There was no way I was going to attempt to walk difficult terrain in the rain.  Although there had been a downpour in the early morning, it had settled down to a light sprinkle by the time I decided to set out. Nevertheless, it gave me an excuse to take to the road, which I did, shortening my distance somewhat.

It was an easy, if somewhat unexciting walk.  When I arrived at Murat, I found the town a seemingly pleasant pilgrim-friendly place, albeit a bit grayer because of the weather.  I stayed at the gîte communal, a rather sinister place as it was quite old, with facilities reminiscent of a bygone era, and because I was the only one there. Hervé, Bernard, and a few people I would meet later, stayed in the more inviting Gîte d'etape Les Menhirs, but its owner Jean-Jacques Chazalet had never answered my email and messages. I now understand he was quite sick at the time, but I wished I had persisted.

I did find a nice pilgrim-friendly restaurant, however, with a great prix-fixe meal, so all was not a loss.

Leaving Fagairolles in the rain


a WWII memorial plaque along the road

A highway marker












Restaurant "le Castelas"

The public library, that appeared to be having some work done on it

Upcoming library program--actress and author of detective fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...