Thursday, September 26, 2019

Part 2, day 8 : La Salvetat-sur-Agoût to Anglès


The gîte in La Salvetat was ancient, but the rooms looked modern enough.  The bathrooms and kitchen, however, left a little to be desired. Nevertheless, it was nice having Hervé and Bernard around. 

The next morning they left before I did, and I walked around, took a few more photos, left the town and then came across the section where the road had been washed away by heavy rains and flooding last year.  Shortly after that I lost trace of the trail and ended up following the yellow and red markers for the GRP653 when I couldn't find the red and white GR653 ones. Both would lead to Anglès, but I believe the GRP took me slightly higher near the lakes. It was a glorious day, and the sun made them glitter. I understand both had a lot of road walking, but the GRP was predominately asphalt, or tarmac, and little else.  I saw few cars and road traffic, and no people whatsoever, even though I was walking through an area which, during the previous month, had probably been full of vacationers. It was weird as the weather was perfect for boating and enjoying the outdoors.

When I finally arrived at Anglès, a kind driver, of whom I had asked directions, drove me to the mayor's office, and another helpful soul directed me inside to the right office. When I finally located the gîte communal, another ancient building that I would occupy by myself, I ran into Pierre and Pierrette from Brittany again. They were staying elsewhere but it was good to establish contact. Unfortunately the only restaurant was closed, but there was a tiny grocery store which I took advantage of. Again no wifi, but my phone seemed to pick up the Internet via 4G on my phone, which was a surprise. I was connected !









Leaving La Salvetat

La Salvetat where the road was washed away


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...