Monday, September 23, 2019

Part 2, day 3 : Lunas to Serviès

Sorry, but publication of my blog was suspended because of a lack of a phone connection, wifi, etc.  I have now completed my walk for this year but will attempt to publish what I was unable to do during my walk, a day or so at a time. 

I stayed in the Maison d'Ezel and was picked up at the local church and driven to the gîte which would have been some walk. I was a bit perturbed because I discovered I was without my US charging adapter so wasn't able to charge my phone. I had apparently left it behind at the place I had stayed the previous night in Lunas. My hosts had one which I was able to borrow which got me through the first evening and the next day. 

The walk from Lunas to Serviès would prove beautiful, although challenging after Bosquet d'Orb, where I stopped to use the ATM machine as I would be walking several days without access to such services.  Unfortunately it was out-of-order and the walk there and back added an addtional 2 kilometres to my trek that day. The machine was probably out-of-cash because it was the only one in the area. I would soon learn some of the inconveniences that inhabitants of some of these far away, forgotten villages had to put up with. Bosquet d'Orb seemed to be a reasonably prospersous,  pilgrim-friendly place with good trail markings and helpful people, though, so it was at least a pleasant walk as I climbed out of the town. I would prove a challenging walking day, but the weather was lovely and not-too-hot.

I decided to stay in Serviès because, although it was a couple of kilometers off the trail, it would still be a shorter distance than walking the full way to the next town of St. Gervais-sur-Mare. Serviès proved to be really, out-of-the-way, however, with no services whatsoever, including no phone reception.  Fortunately although my gîte was a municipal one, there was provision for me to take the demi-pension as there was nowhere to buy food and drink nearby.

Lunas

Lunas

Lunas--the former chateau is now a restaurant

My gîte in Lunas

non-functioning ATM in Bosquet-d'Orb

Bosquet d'Orb


Local sign telling me to turn left



time for a break


forestry seemed to be an industry here

A panoramic view of the area


Finally the hamlet of Serviès with no phone connection whatsoever

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...