Sunday, September 12, 2021

Part 3 Day 1 Paris to Toulouse/Pibrac to Léguevin


After spending a few days in Paris, I set off on phase 3 of my walk along the Voie d'Arles, and, since I was walking from Toulouse, the Via Tolosana. I took the train to Toulouse, then transferred to a regional train that took me to Pibrac. I decided to start there on the recommendation of someone as crossing suburbs of Toulouse has no great interest. 



I followed to uphill road towards the church of Sainte-Marie-Madeleine where a wedding was in progress. It was Saturday, after all. I was given the key to the Sainte-Germaine basilica, built of limestone and brick after the saint's canonization, and completed at the beginning of the 20th century. It is very modern inside.











 I glimpsed the The 24th century Château de Pibrac from as distance. I then headed on towards Léguevin taking the historic route and walked through an insect garden.. There are many walking paths and trails as you approach the Forest of Bouconne.





The advantage of taking the historic route is that it tends to pass through towns and villsges where there may be buildings and churches of historic interest, and the possibility of places to eat and drink. The tradeoff is that there is usually a fair amount of asphalt-walking which is very hard on the joints, and often not verymop interesting.  Such was my entry into Léguevin where I stayed at the Maison St Jacques.  The hospitaliere there was an energetic Italian in her 80s who had recently lost her husband. 



Here again I ran into a wedding of a church I wanted to visit. The getaway car for the newlyweds was pretty snazzy,, though.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...