Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Part 3 Day 5 L'Isle Arné to Montégut

Today I walked from L'Isle-Arné to Montégut with a little detour somewhere after Lussan on the outskirts of Montégut where the waymarking got a little sketchy [shall we say, nonexistant]. There had been a violent thunderstorm early in the morning where I was, but it must have been very localized as the area around Montégut seemed untouched. There were 4 of us in the gite last night, three local French walkers and me. I waited until the storm had subsided and found it an easy, pleasant walk except for the unsettling lack of balises and the few moments of wondering where in the world I was--no indication in the MMDD.

The walking was easy until Lussan, whose main attractions were a little chapel and a restaurant, my walk being a little ill timed to take advantage of the latter.







After Lussan the walking became more difficult, not because of the terrain, because it was relatively level, but as it started to heat up again, and the way markers became few and far between.







Actually despite the lack of trail markers, my only serious problem didn't come until I was not far from the outskirts of Montégut.  I misinterpreted a marker as did the two women I am staying with ( from yesterday!) and ended up following a wooded area without markers to a small country road. There was  pediatric hospital St Jacques belonging to the Order of Malte. I flagged down a car and asked a driver the direction of Montégut, continued in that direction to La Roquetaillade,  a commune of Montégut  where, after a school, I picked up the trail again.



I finally arrived at the turnoff for my gite and they weren't kidding about paying attention to the descent--it was precipitous, narrow and gravel-covered.



1 comment:

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...