Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Day 7 - Montarnaud

Well like I said, surprise, surprise. Anne-Laure showed up at my gite--a donativo linked with the Church of St. Roch. It would be the last day that I saw her, though. I missed the tour of the church as I needed to get a new SIM card as I set about searching for a place to buy one, but spent the  night with the 11 others, a single sink, toilet, and 2 showers. It was tough and, worse yet, I got little sleep because of the street noise. 

It was not a particularly long walk the following day and, after taking the bus to Euromedicine, I took a second one to Grabels Centre, Grabels being a town on the outskirts of the city. From the church there, the balises (trail-markers) were clearly indicated and the walk was a relatively easy one, although littered with more than a few rocky, and gravel-filled ups and downs through scrubby vegetation. I ran into one woman from the previous night along the way, saw two others walking, and spent the night with a French couple, so there is some activity on the trail. Montarnaud sits on a hilltop, and I got to know it as I sought out food, an ATM, and wifi. Unfortunately the signal at the library was too weak to upload photos. My gîte, however, was "just right," minus the lack of an Internet connection.

Grabels

the trail was very well marked from Grabels

in leaving Grabels, I first passed through this little park
 



I would meet the two people ahead of me in my gîte later that afternoon



a solar park I passed



château in Montarnaud



Montarnaud also has its own Roman ruins in the form of villas and funerary inscriptions, it also boasts vestiges of a stone-age encampment, and more recently12th century ruins: a church, a bell tower and a château.







"Let be and be still, and know (recognize and understand) that I am God, I will be exalted among the nations! I will be exalted in the earth!"  Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...