Friday, September 7, 2018

Day 3 - Vauvert




All started out well as I left St-Gilles. The way seemed well way-marked (there are 3 GR that converge there) and I passed by lovely vineyards, orchards and olive groves. Two hours later I found myself in St Gilles again! I must have missed a trail marker! I took to the road the second time not wanting to repeat my 8 km mistake, found the GR markers again, and ran into a Belgian walker who had also lost an hour walking the wrong direction, but whose mistake was different from mine. I have the MMDD and the Lepère  guides, but think the Topo Guide is best in this type of  situation.

At any rate, I finally arrived in Vauvert!

















I saw many horses and some may be native to the area as the  Camargue horse is an ancient breed indigenous to this region of southern France.





Vauvert was once known as "Posquières", or the "place of wells," was first mentioned about 810 AD, a small village that grew up around a frequently besieged castle. During the Middle Ages separate communities of Christians and Jews were created and during the 12th century the rabbinical school there was apparently an important school of Jewish teaching. In the 13th century the Christian church of Notre-Dame du Val-Vert gained considerable importance when visited by a number of reigning monarchs and the town's name was eventually changed from its former name to "Vauvert".

Today it proved to be a good-sized town with numerous eating possibilities, and good grocery stores, and a tourist office with free wifi.

I bought dinner supplies at a large supermarket

And I had a lovely breakfast on Mme Dasse's patio




"For we walk by faith, not by sight."  2 Corinthians 5:7  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...