Friday, September 14, 2018

Day 10 - Montpeyroux/Arboras

The walking was challenging, but the vistas were lovely after St. Guilhem le Désert.  I had started early to avoid the sun and heat of the day. Fortunately there was a good breeze early on. At least 7 of us had stayed in the dormitory portion of the Accueil spiritual Carmel St. Joseph, with some 3 others or so staying elsewhere. Quite a few of us were up early and the climb up and down the mountain into Montpeyroux was long and arduous, given the narrow ledges and gravely ascents and descents. The gîte where I had intended to stay was no longer open, but the Refuge d'Arboras had been recommended as an alternative.

I passed the small village of Montpeyroux, also nestled in wine country. Ruins of the château de Montpeyroux (called "castellas de Montpeyroux") became visible as I approached the town.  The château had been founded in 1070 by a descendant of St. Guilhem. I skirted the town, as there was no lodging available, and continued an additional 3 km to Arboras.








the arrow points to some Neolithic ruins

the ruins of the château of Montpeyroux
Montpeyroux




vineyards on the outskirts of Montpeyroux on the way to Arboras

Arboras apparently was named for its trees, which must have been noteworthy at one time. A villa was first mentioned there at the end of the 10th century, it had a church dating from 1101, then a castle, around which a village grew, only to be destroyed in the 16th century. There was a bridge built in 1771, recently repaired, and there was a commemorative plaque to that effect. The bridge had served for commerce between Montpeyroux and Arboras, and for those pilgrims walking the Via Tolosana. The Refuge was a most welcome site and I was happy to drop my stuff off at its convenient location next to the church.  There was even a small bohemian restaurant cum artist's studio in town, which was a plus. The only real negative I experienced were the mosquitoes.  I had lunch with a Canadian pilgrim (Ronald) that had gotten separated from his two walking companions (Rick and Janice), who managed to catch up with him just as we were finishing up.


the reconstructed bridge into Arboras



My two gîte-mates that night were also Canadian, by way of England and France. Gill was an artist, and her walking companion Liliane, was from Lyon.  I believe both were currently living in Ottawa.  It was nice to meet new people, and they were planning on going as far as Toulouse, so there was the possibility of seeing them again.

 "Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths." Psalm 25:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...