Saturday, September 8, 2018

Day 4 - Gallargues le Montueux


In Vauvert I ended up staying with Marie Claude Dasse in her quiet chambres d' hôte "Couleurs de Sud, " which was restful and most refreshing. The following morning, I continued on through a countryside of acres of small vineyards and again nearly missed another turn along the way as the way-marking was scant in certain areas, and most particularly absent as I entered the town of Gallargues le Montvueux through a large industrial park. I flagged down a passing car and a helpful local gave me directions into the town. That afternoon I was delighted to be reunited with my companion of the previous day from Belgium, Francoise, at the communal gîte, an old school lovingly converted into a gîte for pilgrims by a group of women supporters of the camino. We had both stopped at the same brasserie for lunch and were happy to run into each other again. The two of us were then joined at the gîte by a third walker, a young woman from Arles, Anne-Laure. Since the Via Tolosana can be a lonely journey, having walking companions, even for a few hours can be most welcome.

I was also excited about the availability of a post-office and the possibility of buying a SIM card there.  No luck, though.  The day I was there, the post-office was closed "exceptionnellement" the Saturday I was there, and the following day was Sunday, when it would also be closed as well...






Beware of the dog
or dogs in this case--they came running at me barking, but backed off as I passed by...


post office closed "exceptionnellement" that Saturday






Francoise (left) and Anne-Laure (right)






Apparently near Gallargues there is an archeological site with some impressive Roman ruins along the Vidourle River. Its location along the Via Domitia allowed for some not insubstantial traffic during the period, but I missed these completely.

Also of note are an old pilgrim hospital, the hôpital Saint-Jacques, a church dedicated to St-Martin, and the ruins of a château.


Hôpital St. Jacques, Gallargues le Montueux





" 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' " Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 4 / Day 17 : Pamplona -- Biarritz -- return to Paris

I woke up early and made it to the bus station, stopping across the street for coffee and pastry. The Spanish gentleman who I attempted to t...